Derek Sivers (cdBaby) and Task Managers
About This Episode
Have you ever been on social media and feel drained and asking yourself, "what am I doing with my life right now?" As fun as it is to read and watch stuff, there's a point where we've consumed too much content. Derek Sivers says, "Whatever excites you, keep doing it. Whatever drains you, stop doing it."
⤵ Scroll down to see LINKS related to or mentioned in this episode ⤵
- Do you ever feel like nothing is happening on social media?
- Have you ever spent hours on social getting nothing done?
- We need time when we're NOT consuming content
- Not consuming content can help us feel more human, then create better content
What's the best task manager?
- A task manager allows you to capture tasks in an inbox and then categorize them
- Find one you will USE and come back to over and over again
- I am currently using Nozbe (link below)
- If you don't use it, it's not worth having
"Whatever excites you, keep doing it. Whatever drains you, stop doing it."
- What gives you energy in your life?
- What/who drains you and takes away your energy?
- People think they need a medium/platform instead of focusing on CONTENT
- Solution: think about what NEEDS to be created, rather than just "getting something out" on a platform
- People prefer different mediums based on their context
- Content should dictate the medium
- Distribution platforms change all the time - and shouldn't proceed the content design (the MEDIUM should dictate the content design)
- Promoting content AFTER creation is effective (but that's not "content")
- Decide the message, then pick a medium
- What best serves the person who will consume the content?
- What questions do the consumers have?